Animal prints are a very popular style element, but there is somewhat of a controversy going around them, similar to the controversy around the color pink. Many people consider animal prints to be reserved for women only, even though the arguments for that don’t go further than “just because”.
We think men can wear animal prints just as well as women, and that this type of print looks best if you follow a few guidelines which we want to share with you. These are not unbreakable rules, you can commit to your affirmed style anytime, but if you are rather interested in animal prints and don’t want to get it wrong, we have a few tips for you:
1. Don’t wear more than one big item with an animal print. Limit yourself to only one big item with an (animal) print and work the outfit from there. Try not to be too matchy or too obvious.
2. You can wear two or more accessories with animal prints. While we don’t recommend you to wear two big clothing items with animal prints, we do advise you to wear two or more accessories. Think for example boots and a bag.
3. Wear animal prints with solids and neutrals. Animal prints are usually very busy and charged, so as we said earlier, make sure you tone them down with soft or neutral colors.
4. One animal print at the time. You’re not a zoo. Don’t mix a leopard print with a zebra print or any two different prints.
5. Big animal prints make you look bigger. Big prints make you look bigger, so they are right for thin guys who want to appear bigger than they really are. On the other hand, if you are already a dude on the bulky side, you should opt for smaller prints. Also make sure that the clothes you wear, especially with this type of print, are very fitted.
These rules are highly breakable, but then you are no longer in a safe zone. It can definitely look very well to have a look where you mix an animal print with an abstract print or a very bright color, but it’s risky to give sure info on that! Following these guidelines will make you look stylish and you can be sure that you are safe and don’t go wrong!
Animal prints are made to convey power to the person wearing them. They became fashionable in the 18th century, but if you think about it, men have been wearing ‘animal prints’ since the dawn of civilization. If you think about it, the caveman was an avid fur wearer.
In the 18th and 19th century, animal prints were a sign of wealth and luxury, giving the wearer an aura of exoticism and the people wearing them were definitely thought to be men and women who were confident and wanted to get attention.
So, whatever your motivation might be, we advise you to try on an animal print and see how it goes. Animal prints can be exciting and a true closet adventure (something like Narnia, maybe?). And, even if you are not into wearing animals as such, you can still try on a print that is just that, a print.
Fraquoh and Franchomme
P.S. What do you think of animal prints? Do you think they are reserved for women? Which prints do you like to wear? How do you like to wear them? How do you feel about avid animal prints wearers? Share your thoughts below!